Thursday, April 8, 2010

28 Days Later

                                                 


(I actually wrote this a few years ago for a forum I frequent and decided to be lazy and copy/paste it here.)

I re-watched this the other night as a refresher for my post here. For me, this movie never gets old. There are still a few "gotcha" moments that still make me jump every time. And I know they're coming.


While I had seen "Trainspotting" and thought it was great, 28 was the film that really made me notice Danny Boyle as a director. I love the grainy-ness of the film and how you're learning about the situation along with Jim's character. True, we know how the outbreak started, but as he wakes up in an empty hospital surrounded by empty streets we're back in the dark again.

It can be a touchy subject for some as to whether or not this is a "zombie movie." While you could put it in that category I will explain my reasons for not considering it as such. In films like "Night of the Living Dead" the body has to die first and is re-animated with a hunger for human flesh. Here we are dealing with a virus that has a minuscule incubation time and turns the victim into rage personified. I find that a great twist on the zombie genre. The person is taken over before your eyes and is not undead.

I also love the cast. My general love for Cillian Murphy aside, I think he does a geat job. I mean, how many times can a person yell "Hello" and still get across the utter desperation and bewilderment of this situation. Brendan Gleeson was perfect as the father figure of the group and I get choked up every time that tiny drop of blood falls in his eye and he turns.

And then the twist comes. They've turned to a small military camp for help and find themselves in just as much danger. Maybe it's because I'm a woman that I find the "human incubator project" so chill-inducing. Some friends I've talked to about this film thought that was a downturn in the movie, but I find it just as compelling. It drives the point home that not only is there danger from within ourselves but from those sworn to protect us.

This film does have a few light (and much appreciated) moments. The grocery store scene being one. And I appreciate that while there was some sexual tension between Jim and Selena, it doesn't overpower the story.

Overall, I love this film for being fun, scary, and thought-provoking. You can take it as a genre film or you can dig deeper and find some social commentary without being beaten over the head with it (and some naked Cillian Murphy peen doesn't hurt either).

Phew! Thanks for listening to me ramble.

No comments:

Post a Comment