Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Watership Down


How do I find the words to describe a movie that has been a part of my life since before I can remember?  No doubt I watched it as a child with my parents in the other room thinking their five year old entertained by an animated movie about cute little bunnies doing their cute little bunny things.  They could not have misjudged the tone of this movie more.

This movie possesses such a hauntingly beautiful quality from the opening explaining the lapine mythology all the way through to the bloody and brutal climax.  The score emphasizes these events in such a subtle manner that it never ceases to make me feel a pang of nostalgia with every viewing.  In fact, now that I think about it, this may have been the beginning of my movie score geekness.

The story follows a group of rabbits on their journey to finding a new home.  On the surface it appears to be such a simple story.  But the rabbits are more than displaced.  They are trying to create an entirely new society in the midst of everyday survival.  Fiver, the group's visionary, knows that something terrible is going to happen to their current home.  With his brother, Hazel, and a friend, Bigwig, he tries to convince the Chief Rabbit that the entire warren must leave.  The Chief is not to be convinced and later that night a small group leaves the warren for good.

I'm not going to go through the plot point by point.  I could never do the film justice.  Throughout the film, the rabbits are exposed to varying amounts and types of danger from both natural enemies and even their own kind.  They encounter other groups of rabbits living in different kinds of societies; neither to our group's liking.  It is a difficult journey for our heroes, both over unfamiliar terrain and in starting their lives afresh.  But in the end you will be holding out hope that somehow this group has the strength to see Fiver's vision through.


No comments:

Post a Comment